Introduction to Skin Lesion Identification & Dermatoscopy
Cosmetic Institute of Australia is now Aesthetic and Skin Institute
Please visit our new website and explore our updated course www.aestheticsandskininstitute.com
This is a fully online course that has been developed for cosmetic practitioners to have an opportunity to learn to identify simple and complex skin lesions, including skin cancers and the use of the dermatoscope as a diagnostic tool.
It can be very challenging when one is presented with a mole on the patient’s treatment area and not knowing whether to proceed with the treatment or ask the patient to seek further advise with their doctor before proceeding with further treatment. This module does not aim to replace the skin doctor nor their experience but rather give you the basic understanding of what to look out for and what certain signs mean, including those seen under the dermatoscope.
This is an essential skill in cosmetic dermatology and each cosmetic practitioner should be well versed in it.
It is highly recommended to complete the online module Fundamentals of Skin Sciences before attempting this module as it will set a good foundation in skin physiology which is important to better understand how skin lesions are identified.
The online learning time is approximately 4.5 hours.
Upon completion of this course, you should:
- Understand the benefits of dermatoscopy in a skin therapy framework
- Be able to identify common benign lesions based on simple algorithms
- Understand the difference between a benign lesion and a malignant lesion
- Have an understanding of the ABCDE algorithm and how to apply this
- Know what to do if a lesion does not fit the ABCDE algorithm
- Have an introduction into the Chaos and Clues algorithm
- Have a basic understanding of patterns of pigment and vessels consistent with the most common benign and malignant lesions
- Understand the importance and the practical use of the Dermatoscope
- Be better equipped to assess the skin in the area of concern to determine both suitability for treatment and/or when the referral protocols to medical professionals will be required
- Be able to establish cross-referral protocols for patient safety and clinical Best Practice
- Beauty Therapists
Each participant’s online modules access will remain active for 12 weeks for them to pass the online quiz to get the certificate